Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hola

Hi! So I'm coming home to visit! First I get to go to my cousin's wedding in Tennessee and then I'm coming home and relaxing. They say that reverse culture shock can be worse than original culture shock. People say that they go home to visit the USA and are surprised by how clean it is, how polite and considerate other people are, and how quiet it is. I'm thoroughly ready to experience this. I've had a lot of down time lately now that school's not in session. A lot of time to visit friends, go to the beach, etc. A little too much time. I mean, I did finish a grant proposal and I've had a chance to brainstorm some ideas for projects, but really, I have no routine whatsoever. Yesterday and today I went walking for about 2 hours. I made ceviche. I cleaned my house. I read. But I feel like I need some structure in my life. I know I'll miss some free time when school starts again, but I think I'll be ready when it comes. As for now, I'll have a nice break in the USA. :)

4 comments:

El Nica said...

I hope you don't mind but I was facinated with your blog when I found it browsing the web here at work that I decided to send you a message. I guess what really gets me it's how someone would adapt to our living conditions in Nicaragua, I mean I don't like to say bad things about my own country but Nicaragua seems a bit foreign to me now even after living there for 12 years. I always wanted to find out about someone else's perspective about Chinandega. What do you do for fun other than hung out with frinds & the beach, have you learn to Salsa dance yet? I was reading an older blog & is it true that there is not much to do after 6pm? When I lived there in the late 80's it was a very safe town but I have heard from relatives that it has change a lot? Do you go home during holidays or do you stay in Nicaragua? How long do you have until your done with your assignment & what do you plan to do after you are done? Again I hope you don't mind me asking you lots of questions :) Well, I will keep reading your blog & hope you update it frequently. If you ever feel bore & have time shoot me an email at Gary.m.alvarado@wellsfargo.com

elizabeth said...

Hi there,
I don't often check my blog but I do check my email and I saw that you wrote to me. Thanks for the comment! Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads this but my parents.
I think I'm pretty well adapted here. For example I just spent my day off cleaning my house from top to bottom (you know the dust is horrible in the dry season) and washing my clothes in the lavandero. Now I'm going to hang out with some friends of mine who have a tramo in the BISNE market (you know, where the bus station is). As for having fun, I have learned to dance salsa! I took a class actually, so I'm not bad (for a gringa).
Yeah, I'd say it's kind of dangerous in most parts of town after dark. People steal cell phones a lot... I got mine stolen from a guy on the street just the 3rd week I was here.
Anyway, I'll be here for the next year and a half, si dios quiere. So do you like life in the USA? I've only been home once since I left in May of last year because my cousin got married, but other than that I don't vacation much.

KevinCromley said...

Hey I am an RPCV from Esteli 95-95. I will be down there in April and was wondering if you knew of any good hotels???

Anonymous said...

MONKEYS SAY HOLA!