Friday, August 7, 2009

Quick update from China-town

The Chinandega crew (or at least half of us) at Pizza Hot. Josh Berman, the author of the Moon guidebooks to traveling and living in Nicaragua, came to do some research for an update. Who better to consult than we PCVs? He's an ex-volunteer himself actually. So, he picked our brains on bus schedules, pretty places, and nightlife (or lack thereof) and in return took us out for pizza.

I'm on the far right.

Umm.... updates. Well, over the past two days I've probably spent 10 hours cleaning my house and washing clothes. I'm glad I got the laundry out of the way though because it's been raining for the past hour and half. Definitely not conducive to drying clothes on a line.
I seem to be hosting an extended family of mice. So far I've had to throw out 2 unopened bags of pasta, half a bag of whole wheat bed (I cried a little), a bag of tortilla chips, powder soup mix, countless vegetables (good excuse not to eat salad), and various articles of clothing that contained holes and urine staines. SWEET!!! I had a little breakdown. I scrubbed my kitchen counters and applicances with bleach until my hands were raw because seriously, there was poop all over the place. I wish I could bring my pet snake down here for the remainder of my service...

This weekend Dianne is coming to visit. Next week should be pretty busy. I've got a new community English class that will start on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Will be in touch!

Elizabeth

P.S. Reminder to all that the address to my pictures changed. The new one is http://picasaweb.google.com/elizabeth.p.slack/
I just put pictures of my new house up!

No comments: